Thursday, January 29, 2009

White Chicken Chili...

Another snow day...Uggghhh...and I have a sore throat and runny nose...LUCKY me!!

Although I am sick, my wifely/motherly duties still have to be performed...DINNER!! Since I feel like death warmed over...I need to make something that is good, quick, hearty, Quick, hot, QUICK, and kid/husband friendly. So...White Chicken Chili it is.

I would LOVE to take credit for this recipe, but I can't. You can get the original recipe from the Bush website. To save you time, I have copied the recipe below and have "Quita-ed" it up with a few additions:

White Chicken Chili
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (16 ounce) cans BUSH'S® BEST Great Northern Beans
*1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken breast
1 (14.5 ounce)can of petite diced tomatoes--any seasoning combo that you like(see picture)
1 teaspoon of Southwest Chipolte Seasoning mix(see picture)
Shredded Monterey Jack, Colby or Cheddar cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

Directions:
In large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. Add chilies (I do not drain, I add the whole can as is), flour, cumin and SW Chipolte seasoning; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans, diced tomatoes and chicken broth (I like my chili thick, so I only add 1/2 can at first and then more if needed); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; cook until hot. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
*note: if you like your chili thick and do not have a can of chicken broth, use 1 bullion cube dissolved in 1 cup of hot water.
You can use turkey in place of chicken. To stretch this recipe, I use 3 cans of beans and increase cumin to 2 and a half teaspoons. In a hurry?? Use frozen chopped onions instead of fresh...it will save you time and tears!!

I normally serve this with Jiffy cornbread muffins, Hawaiian Bread rolls or tortilla chips. If the chili is thick enough, it can be spooned into flour tortillas and rolled into burritos.
I buy my diced chilies from Walmart for $.68 per can. The beans also come from Wally World and they are usually $.79 per can. Red Gold diced tomatoes happened to be on sale for $1.16 per can, I am not brand loyal and will buy whatever is cheapest.

The Zesty Blend SW Chipolte seasoning can from Kroger and it was $2.99. The chicken came from my parents, it is precooked frozen breast strips. I have also used diced whole rotisserie chicken meat from Sam's Club.



Here is what it looks like in the pot cooking. You see more beans than anything else because I used 3 cans...I like my chili bean-ey!
I also used a LOT more onion...I also like my chili onion-ey




And here is the bowled up finished product...with LOTS of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

From can to table, this takes about 20 minutes to whip up...So next time you are in a hurry and want something good to eat that is good for you...make a pot of White Chicken Chili and then come back and post your comments...


~Quita

3 comments:

  1. Quita, this looks soooooooooo yummy. Every other day I look at the picture & start watering at the mouth. I look at the directions & say "Yep, no problem." So, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Qauita,

    This really does look good! I wonder if I could get my picky kids to eat it. Lord knows with a full time job, a set of twins, two hour homework, I really do need something quick to make, I'll let you know how it goes over with the kids. Kim (AKA) Mother of $10K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kroger (at least here in Indiana) tells me the Zesty Blend SW Chipolte isn't made anymore.

    Is it still carried at your local store?

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online