Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sorry...I'm Baaaaack...

Hi all,

I owe you guys a HUGE apology...I have not blogged in FOREVER!!! I just want to let you all know why I have not been around.

About a month and a half ago my 11 year old son Alexander was given the opportunity of a lifetime!! He was recommended to audition for a play at Warren Central High School. Well, he auditioned and he got the part!! Needless to say...We were all VERY excited. The rehearsal schedule was fine up until last week and I could still squeeze a post or two in, but last week...that all changed.

Last week we had dress rehearsal from 5:00pm until 9:30pm Monday(3/9) through Wednesday(3/11). Now, in and of itself, dress rehearsal is not what kept me busy. What kept me BUSY were the meals that we provided on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for the cast and crew. We fed 40 people each night. Can you imagine?? Cooking for six people is hard enough...cooking for 40 was a little intimidating, to say the least. When I cook for my family, it's easy, because I know what they like. Cooking for 40 people that you have only been around for five weeks is SCARY beyond belief! And, to make matters worse, these were 40 people age 18 and younger! Now we all know how fickled young folks can be...

Well...let me tell you...these were the most MANNERABLE, RESPECTFUL and WONDERFUL young men and women that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting!! They were grateful for EVERYTHING that we did for them. It was AMAZING!!! I thank God for their families and for them. They have renewed my faith in the youth of today!! I went in with very few expectations and came out IMPRESSED beyond measure. I do TRULY hope and pray that my children grow up to be as well mannered, talented and appreciative as they were/are.

I would like to thank EVERYONE who was affiliated with this production for allowing me and my son to be a part of it. In particular I would like to thank Gabe for giving Alexander this opportunity and Angie for letting me help her with the food.

For me to say that this is an experience that I will never forget...is an understatement. This is an experience that I will ALWAYS remember and replay in my mind. It is an experience that has given me GREAT joy and pleasure. It was an experience that has shown me that there are some truly wonderful young people still left in this world!!

It is not uncommon to turn on the television and see a story about a young man/woman who has murdered a parent or a sibling or went on a killing rampage in their high school. These stories get soooooo much press/air time that one often forgets that there are young adults out there who are doing the right thing. I just wanted to take this opportunity to share with you my experiences with a REMARKABLE group of young-uns' who are focused, determined, college bound, inspiring, EXTREMELY gifted/talented, respectful and awe inspiring (quick prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for allowing me to experience these beautiful children. Through them my faith in mankind has been renewed. Please Lord be with each and every one of them forever and always. Please Lord keep them focused on their goals and help the realize that with You and You ONLY...ALL things are possible. Dear Lord, I am crying now...so I think I had better say amen and be done before I short out my keyboard with my tears...I am such a baby...~amen).

The play, A Raisin in the Sun, opened on Thursday, March 12, 2009...and it was a HUGE success!! From the first word to the last, we were transformed into the past. We were moved!! These young men and women put on a Tony award winning performance!! They were so committed to their roles that the words just came naturally. This play was a labor of their love of theatre and their love/respect for their director. The play was so good that I forgot that this was a high school production! Each actor truly owned and embraced his/her character. Lorraine Hansberry and Sidney Poitier would have been proud!

It would be hard for me to pick out one character in particular as the "star," but being a mama myself...I would have to say that Ms. C. Williams was an AWESOME Lena Younger. She was TRULY the glue that held her family together!! Mr. I. Miles was Walter Lee and his wife Ruth was played by Ms. S. Penny. They acted just like an "old" married couple!! Benetha was played by Angie's girl Ms. T. Watkins (the African dancing was a sight to behold). Young mister Travis was played by my boy Alexander (as loud as this child is at home, we could barely hear him on stage). Karl Lindner was played by Mr. B. Bowers (he made discrimination seem almost pleasant). Mr. A. Snowden played the part of Joseph Asagai and he had the BEST accent EVER!! Mr. J. L. Lancaster played George Murchinson (LOVED the spray painted white shoes J.L.) and Bobo was played by Mr. M. McCaskill (he did his final performance on crutches, talk about being dedicated...). The three moving men were played by Mr. D. Peloney, Mr. C. Mills and Mr. X. Ingram ( I have never seen boxes moved so wonderfully in my whole life).

Although I spent most of my time with the cast...there were some TOTALLY AWESOME crew members too. This production could not been successful without them. All of the acting in the world is no good without proper costumes, lighting, sound, props and a set. Thanks guys and girls. A play is only as good as its behind the scenes crew...in my NEVER to be humble opinion.

Remember these names...because I truly believe that there is MUCH more to come from them in the future! They are the Engineers, Doctors and Lawyers of tomorrow. Thanks be to God for the opportunity to be able to say, "I knew them when..."

~Marquita

PS. GH...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not leave WC until after Travis has graduated in 2016...PLEASE???? I know that seems like FOREVER, but really it's not. You know what they say, "Time flies when you are having fun," and I know for sure that you are having FUN!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marquita! Thank you all for the opportunity to have the chance to experience the play A Raisin in the Sun! I, like you would have had a hard time choosing a favorite character....they were all so good! You have said it all so eloquently I might add.. May they all continue on in life to accomplish the dreams and goals and thank you again for the opportunity! Having gotten THE AUTOGRAPH OF A CERTAIN "ALEXANDER" I am going to be able to say just exactly what you said, "I knew him when...." Keep being blessed as I know you will be, for you also are one TALENTED LADY! Peace.
    Suesie

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online