Thursday, March 19, 2009

Confessions of a BLACK girl...

I guess you can say that I have been in denial for MANY, MANY, MANY years...but today I have decided to come out of the closet and confess...I am a BLACK girl. Many of you have known me for years and are probably asking yourself..."Is she CRAZY...how could she be just now finding out that she is a 'black girl?'" Well, my friends, denial is a POWERFUL thing!!

Well I guess, I have probably always known it but was afraid to admit it. It is sometimes difficult to embrace your inner "blackness." I have been fighting it for almost 40 years. I have been told by many that "the truth shall set you free." Well I want to be free and to share my "blackness" with everyone.

I have no idea why I have always thought that being a "black" girl is bad...but I have. As I approach 40, I have decided to put aside my childish ways and embrace my life as it is...to embrace my inner "blackness." With age comes wisdom...

So here it is...The Confession of a BLACK Girl...
I would like to thank all of you who have supported me over the years, those of you who have known me forever and those of you whom I encounter from day to day. It is my hope and prayer that your feelings for me will not change when I open up and share one of my deepest and darkest secret...(quick prayer: Dear Lord You have created me in all of Your splendid grace and glory. I have made many friends over the years and You have blessed me with a wonderful supportive family and husband. Please Lord let them not think less of me as I open up and confess one of my deepest darkest secret. Lord please allow them to continue to accept me as I am...~amen)

OK...here it goes...My favorite color is...uhmm...well...BLACK!! Whew...it feels good to have said it...It seems like my oldest daughter, Nicole ,is ALWAYS asking me my favorite color and each time she asks, I tell her a different color. Well today I would like to go on record before God and the world and announce that "I AM A BLACK GIRL!" Black is my FAVORITE color. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the color BLACK.

I guess, since most of my wardrobe consists of black, I should not be surprised by my fascination with this color. But, I must admit, I find it difficult to tell people that it is my favorite color. I think what draws me to it the most is that it can be whatever you want it to be! It can be formal:


It can be Girly:

It can be Casual:














It can be Serene:


It can be Mod:


It can be Minimal:

In short...Black is BEAUTIFUL and it can be whatever you want it to be. So next time you are looking for just the right color to complete a room or an outfit...Try something Black. You too might be "BLACK" at heart. Don't wait 39 years to discover this beautiful color like I did...Embrace your inner blackness TODAY...So...the next time that you are out and about and you see something "black" and beautiful...send me a pic. I would love to share it with my readers.

~Marquita

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the dark side. My husband and I have been "blackies" for years. We once had a wall painted black to better emphasize an aquarium. On HGTV I noticed a decorator used black to trim a living room/den rather than white. It really popped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My confession is.... when I was little, I wanted to BE black.
    I had a little friend (when I was 3 or 4) who lived in the same apartment complex as we did...she was older (probably 8???) and her name was Lonnie Frisco, and I thought she walked on water. I wanted to be black like her SO bad, and I thought if I stayed out in the sun long enough, I would turn black and be cool and sophisticated like her....obviously it didn’t work....I’m still just silly ol’ white me....and probably was really sunburned that year. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee' W (Memphis, TN)April 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM

    I guess I just never really thought about black as a "COLOR", but the way it accentuates....I've never seen anything like this. In the third picture, for some reason I really like the mis-matched chairs. Quita, you've got the EYE, and you've got my attention. Thanks for confessing.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online